Financial support for UNC Charlotte graduate students is provided via assistantships, tuition support, financial aid, scholarships and fellowships. The majority of full-time enrolled Ph.D. students receive Graduate School tuition support and assistantships, and approximately 15% of master's and certificate students receive some form of Graduate School tuition support. Many students also obtain student loans.
Check out the tabs on this page for a wealth of information on funding for your graduate education. Also, visit PIVOT for the largest database of grant opportunities in the U.S. UNC Charlotte has licensed access to this funding resource database that includes local, state, federal, international and foundation-supported opportunities. Set up an account with your UNC Charlotte ID to search for opportunities. PIVOT will email you with updates on your searches daily or weekly.
Use These Tools to Locate Funding
The Graduate School's Website
The Graduate School offers a variety of funding oppotunities to both current and incoming students. Use the menu to the left to search through our Scholarship, Fellowship and Current Student opportuntities.
PIVOT - the largest database of grant opportunities in the us
UNC Charlotte has licensed access to this funding resource database that includes local, state, federal, international and foundation-supported opportunities. Set up an account with your UNC Charlotte ID to search for opportunities. PIVOT will email you with updates on your searches daily or weekly.
find dollars from charitable foundations
Find foundations that offer grants via Atkins Library - search for the Database Foundation Directory. Click on Foundation Directory Online to access thousands of grantmakers, including the federal government.
Find Dollars from the National Institutes of Health
The NIH offers several individual awards for different stages of your career, and the predoctoral individual fellowships are called Individual National Research Service Award (NRSA, the F series Fellowships in NIH jargon). There are three deadlines per year, in April, August and December.
- For a one-click search, Master's Students
- For a one-click search, Doctoral Students
- For summer or travel fellowships
- ARMACAD - ARMACAD is a platform for students, scholars, scientists and parents to search and find scholarships, summer schools, grants, fully funded conferences, summer schools, training, seminars and other study and research opportunities worldwide.
- AAAS Science "Where to Search for Funding" List of Databases
- US Government Portal for STEM Graduate Student Funding
- UCLA Searchable Database of Graduate and Postdoc Funding - Database of external funding for graduate students and postdocs, provided by UCLA.
If you have a question about graduate student funding , please contact Dr. Julie Goodliffe, Director of Funding and Fellowships. Have additional questions or suggestions? View our sub-org chart to determine who can best support your needs.