Academic Petitions

Graduate Academic Petition

There are two ways to access the Graduate Academic Petition system:

  • Link directly to Graduate Academic Petition
  • Through Banner Self Service
    • Log into
    • Select Banner Self Service
    • Select Students Services/Student Accounts -> Student Records -> Academic Petition-Graduate Students

The Graduate Academic Petition system is only available to active graduate students at UNC Charlotte. Inactive students area required to file a paper-based Special Request Form. This form may be downloaded from the Forms page, under Academics, at or students may contact the Graduate School to receive a copy. 

Request types available in the Graduate Academic Petition are:

Type of Request

What the Request Can Be Used For

Course Overload

Graduate Students are restricted to 12 credit hours per semester (Fall/Spring), and up to 6 hours in the Summer terms.  In some situations, students may request to increase the maximum hours taken in a specific term.

Course Substitution

Students are expected to meet the program requirements established in the Graduate Catalog. In some circumstances, students may be allowed to substitute a course outside the program requirements.

Late Add

Students have until the 8th day of classes to make changes to their registration. In some circumstances, students may request to add a course after the add/drop deadline.

Late Withdrawal

The Registrar’s Office publishes deadlines on withdrawing from a single course or all courses in a specific term. Students who need to withdraw from a course(s) after the deadline must request a late withdrawal.

Leave of Absence

Students who must remain continuously enrolled in the University, and will not be using University resources, must file a leave of absence request.

Transfer of Credit

Students who want to transfer either UNC Charlotte courses or non-UNC Charlotte courses must request a transfer of credit.  Requests to transfer non-UNC Charlotte courses must include course descriptions and official transcripts as attachments.

Other Course-Related

Any request not covered by other course related options. Example: extension for an incomplete grade.

Other Non-Course Related

Any request that is neither related to a certain course nor covered by one of the other options listed above.