How Graduate Student Funding Works

Financial support for UNC Charlotte graduate students is provided in the form of assistantships, fellowships, tuition awards, and traineeships.  The majority of full-time enrolled Ph.D. students receive funding, and approximately 15% of master's and certificate students receive some form of funding. 

Nominations for funding are made by the Graduate Program Director, so students should communicate with the Director about the availability of funding support.  While some programs provide all or the majority of their students with some type of funding, others provide only limited support.

Many students also utilize some type of financial aid in the form of federal grants, state grants, student loans, and work-study employment.  Interested students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year, preferably by the priority deadline of March 1st.  The form is available online at  Make sure to list the UNC Charlotte school code (002975) on the FAFSA.

Fellowships - Public and Private Dollars to Help Pay for Your Research

Due Dates for Select Fellowship Applications:

(updated 6/30//2017)

August 8th, 2017: NIH individual predoctoral fellowships – earn $24,000 per year in stipend and up to $16,000 per year for tuition and fees for up to five years. Unrestricted citizenship!

August 8th, 2017: NIH individual predoctoral fellowships with emphasis on increasing diversity – unrestricted citizenship!  $24,000 per year stipend and up to $16,000 for tuition/fees for up to five years.

October 23-27th, 2017: NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program – if you are a US citizen or permanent resident working on a research Ph.D. or Master’s degree, look into this fellowship that pays $34,000/year in stipend, and covers your tuition and fees. The NSF awards 2,000 of these fellowships each year!

November 1st, 2017: Calling Immigrants and Children of Immigrants!  Were your parents born outside the US? Are you a Naturalized Citizen, or Green Card holder? Were you born outside the US and adopted by American parents? Do you have DACA status?  If any of those are true, and you are pursuing a graduate degree, apply for the PD Soros Fellowship for New Americans.

Looking for feedback on an application?  Come talk to Dr. Goodliffe, Director of Funding and Fellowships. Set up an appointment here.  Not sure who to talk to?  See our sub-org chart to determine whom you should talk to.