Assistantships and Employment

Assistantships are paid research, teaching and administrative roles for graduate students.

Graduate Assistantships

Stipends, responsibilities, selection criteria, application and notification procedures vary from department to department, so contact your Graduate Program Director for additional information on available assistantships.

Graduate assistants receive financial support for their contributions to the teaching, research, and service missions of the University. However, the quality of their supervision, the kind of work they are assigned to do, and the outcomes expected of them distinguish graduate assistants from other employees--even those of the same educational background who receive similar pay.

View Available Graduate Assistantships (positions listed on this site are typically administrative in nature).  Some departments may require the Application for a Graduate Assistantship (found on our Forms page).

View Rules and Practices for Graduate Assistantships (Academic Affairs Personnel Procedures Handbook)

View Eligibility Requirements for Graduate Assistants (Human Resources site)

Graduate Students may be assigned as Teaching Assistants (TAs), however, only graduate students with at least 18 credit hours may serve as primary instructors (IORs). Visit the Academic Affairs web pages for more information.

On-campus Employment

The Office of Student Employment assists students in obtaining Federal Work Study and temporary student worker positions within the university. Visit Human Resources' website, or 222 King Building, for more information.

Full-time, permanent EPA and SPA UNC Charlotte employees may be eligible for tuition waivers or reimbursements. More information can be found on the Human Resources' website.

Off-campus Employment

The University Career Center (UCC) operates a database called NinerJobNet, which offers part-time and full-time employment opportunities. Detailed information about the services offered within the UCC can be found on their website, or by visiting their offices in 150 Atkins Building.

Already have a job? Many employers offer tuition benefits for individuals seeking to further their education. Be sure to check with your supervisor to see if your company offers employee educational assistance programs.