The Graduate School, US government, state of NC, and charitable foundations offer funding for graduate student research. Find and apply for fellowships to provide you with money for living expenses, travel, tuition, etc.
Working on a fellowship application, or need help finding the right fellowship? Come talk to Dr. Goodliffe, Cato Hall second floor, if you would like feedback or more detailed help. Schedule an appointment.
FELLOWSHIPS FROM DONORS TO THE GRADUATE SCHOOL
Each spring the Graduate School administers scholarships and fellowships made available to outstanding graduate students by various donors. Awards begin in the upcoming academic year. Please see the Philanthropic Awards Information for awards that eligible students will automatically be matched to in the NinerScholars portal.
Several awards require a nomination by a UNC Charlotte Graduate Program Director. Please see Philanthropic Awards Information - Nomination Only for these awards.
These merit and need-based scholarships and fellowships recognize outstanding students for prior and sustained academic achievement and provide assistance to students who have demonstrated financial need. Applicants for need-based scholarships and fellowships must have submitted a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by April 15 for the upcoming academic year and have no outstanding requirements or financial obligations to the university in order to be considered. University scholarships and fellowships may be used to offset the cost of tuition, room and board, books, or other approved costs. Specific requirements for each scholarship and fellowship are different and may be based on program (degree + major), GPA, specific course enrollment, or other criteria. To search for scholarships and fellowships and review criteria, visit the NinerScholars portal.
THE THOMAS L. REYNOLDS GRADUATE STUDENT RESEARCH AWARD
Deadlines for 2017 have passed; stay tuned for the 2018 opportunity!
Offered through the Graduate School to support exceptionally talented graduate students. Funds are available to currently enrolled students to support program-specific research or scholarship (e.g., thesis or dissertation research but not a class project). The award is intended to defray costs for conducting clearly defined research relating to the student’s graduate program of study.
- Up to $1,500 (individual award maximum).
- At the time of applications, Doctoral students must have completed at least 3 semesters and Masters students at least one semester.
- Students may apply and receive more than one grant but for multiple grants, the cumulative total may not exceed $3000.
- Additional requirements apply.
thousands of Opportunities can be found Using These Tools
PIVOT - the largest database of grant opportunities in the us
UNC Charlotte has a license to use this funding resource database that includes all local, state, federal, international, foundation, etc. opportunities. Set up an account with your UNC Charlotte ID and search for opportunities! PIVOT will email you with updates of your searches every day, or week. You won't miss an opportunity.
find dollars from charitable foundations
Find foundations that offer grants via Atkins Library - search for the Database Foundation Directory. Click on Foundation Directory Online to access thousands of grantmakers, including the federal government.
Find Dollars from the National Institutes of Health
The NIH offers several individual awards for different stages of your career, and the predoctoral individual fellowships are called Individual National Research Service Award (NRSA, the F series Fellowships in NIH jargon). There are three deadlines per year, in April, August and December.
- For a one-click search, Master's Students
- For a one-click search, Doctoral Students
- For summer or travel fellowships
- ARMACAD - ARMACAD is a platform for students, scholars, scientists and parents to search and find scholarships, summer schools, grants, fully funded conferences, summer schools, training, seminars and other study and research opportunities worldwide.
- AAAS Science "Where to Search for Funding" List of Databases
- US Government Portal for STEM Graduate Student Funding
- UCLA Searchable Database of Graduate and Postdoc Funding - Database of external funding for graduate students and postdocs, provided by UCLA.